About Me

My photo
This blog is to share lessons from a leadership class I took.

Monday, February 27, 2012

DECISION MAKING

The six Cs of decision making were applied in my role as follows:
  • Construct- I had a clear idea of why I chose to be a TA for the signals and systems class( ECEn 380 class). I knew that signals and systems was key to my research in scheduling algorithms for 4G networks. 
  • Compile- I was fully aware at the time of my decision that I had the requisite MATLAB skills to work in the labs. I also reviewed signals and systems the first semester I arrived in the department. I was therefore familiar with the theory of that class. Putting all these down on paper helped me make my decision without  hesitation.
  • Collect- I gathered the main tools I needed to succeed as a TA ( signals and systems textbook and lab book) and often discussed with the professor ways I could be more effective in my role. Armed with these tools, I only needed to be committed to succeed.
  • Compare- I often interacted with the graduate students who have worked as ECEn 380 TAs . These TAs have  taught me quite a number of approaches to being effective in my role. 
  • Consider what might go wrong- From the moment I chose to be work as TA, I was aware of the possibility of not communicating effectively with my students as I come from a totally different country with an entirely different accent and vocabulary. I was also keenly aware that lack of preparation for each lab session could prove problematic for me. I have striven to mitigate these two challenges as much as possible by learning some American vocabulary and preparing ahead of each lab.
  • Commit to a decision- I have made a decision to be an ECEn 380 TA without any regrets. Its been fun for me.

The RACE model does indeed help activities or events run faster since its a structured approach to problem solving. RACE, which stands for 'research and training','action','carry out','evaluation and report' ensures that attention is paid to the smallest detail in the planning and execution of events. It truly is an effective model that helps to break activities into clear modules that can be independently analyzed and implemented.

No comments:

Post a Comment