About Me

My photo
This blog is to share lessons from a leadership class I took.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

TEAM WORK

I would like to describe in detail how norming and  performing has affected my team.


I believe the norming stage begun about two weeks ago with the team of students I TA. I now know most of them and call them by their respective names. The students do likewise to me. Interactions between me and the ECEn 380 students has improved considerably. This enhanced communication has enabled me realize and appreciate the true meaning of norming- a teamwork stage where things have become normal and where shyness, hesitation and lack of effective communication is rather minimal.


With regards to performing, I am surprised at the fast pace at which we have successfully completed four labs already without much problem. Most of the students appear to understand what is going on and are willing to work as hard as they can to link signal theory to MATLAB exercises. I personally have gained added understanding to systems concepts as I do all labs ahead of time before working with my students. I guess I could sum up the meaning of performing as being self motivated to accomplish group tasks within scheduled time.


The dysfunction I've noticed with my team is fear of conflict. I guess this is chiefly because my students  and I come from totally different backgrounds. Although we treat each other with respect, you could sense the subtle presence of fear of conflict. I realized that learning more about american culture is helping me be more open  and sensitive but nevertheless frank in sharing my opinion about issues that crop up. I also think my approach is being reciprocated by most of the students and I really appreciate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment